A quick summer dinner recipe using zucchini and quinoa
Summer is almost in full swing which means farmer’s market galore! One of my favourite vegetables this time of year is zucchini, also known as the summer squash. Zucchini tastes great grilled on the barbie, baked or in a hearty minestrone! Zucchini is rich in potassium and anti-oxidants. Oh and did I mention it has very few calories? Although listed as a veggie, zucchini is technically an immature fruit. Why you may ask? It’s because it’s the swollen ovary of the zucchini flower. Nutrition and facts aside, what yummy dishes can you whip up with zucchini? I was exploring new recipes and stumbled upon this amazing one to which I made a couple of alterations:
- 4 fair size zucchini
- 4 tbps of olive oil
- ½ cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of Italian white beans (aka Cannellini beans)
- ¾ cup of feta (L’Ancetre’s lactose free if intolerant) Vegan feta cheese option here.
- ½ cup of almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven at 400°F. Make quinoa as you normally would by boiling in a cup of water. Cover and reduce heat to medium low (for about 12-15 minutes)
- While quinoa cooks, prep the veggies. Cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the insides. Use a tablespoon of olive oil to line your baking dish and place the zucchini on top. Dice your tomatoes, chop your garlic and wash your beans.
- Once quinoa is ready, combine all other ingredients into one big bowl.
- Place your mixture into the zucchini. Using foil to cover your dish, bake for about 25 minutes. After that, remove cover and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes.
This dish is very light but so filling and quite yummy!
Do you have a favorite zucchini recipe? Please feel free to share!
Check out another delicious zucchini recipe here! http://ethicaldeal.com/blog/2012/05/the-cleanse-chronicles-cauliflower-zucchini-grain-cakes/
About the author:
Katrina is a part of the ethicalDeal www.ethicalDeal.com team whose aim is to make green mainstream. Her goal is to educate the public on the benefits of living a healthy and eco-friendly lifestyle.
See your business here, click to learn more.