I love to eat these for a weekend breakfast with an egg dish, like a frittata. This is also a great starchy option for the gluten free folks. Mushrooms are a good veggie to support because they can be grown on such a tiny plot of land, like so tiny it could be in your lawn or veggie garden. Aside from being easy to grow (Oysters are a good start) they are high in amino acids, the building blocks of protein.
Makes 12 small or 6 large cakes
Photo by: Pace
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 8 small mushrooms (baby bellas or crimini), sliced into matchsticks
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons greek yogurt
- Small bunch of dill, fronds plucked
Squeeze the excess water from the potatoes and add into a medium mixing bowl. Combine mushrooms, eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix through. Heat a large skillet on medium and add vegetable oil. Form potato mixture into shapes and pan fry on each side until golden brown. Add a dollop of yogurt and garnish with fresh dill frond.