|We had an amazing time in New York City! Having accommodations in the middle of all the great attractions the city had to offer was a major plus! Thanks to Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers, we were able to walk to 90% of the places on our “must see” list during our four-day visit.|
We had a chance to sit with Sheraton‘s Green Team Zoe Cohen, Sheraton’s VIP Manager & Claire Cutting, Sheraton’s Housekeeping Manager to chat about the
hotel’s Eco efforts & why people from all over the world flock to NYC during the holidays.
Sheraton Room Attendants bring down their partially used soaps and lotions for donation!
Sheraton Sustainable Employee Cafeteria – NO paper goods! Everything is reusable!
They compost in all their kitchens and banquet areas!
More Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers Sustainability Initiatives
Enhanced Occupant Environment and Comfort
- HVAC four-pipe system allows for heating and/or cooling year-round and for existing free-cooling system to be used during winter months
- Enhanced temperature controls allow guests to adjust their interior environment
- Carpet and tile adhesives and sealants are specified to have low VOC content and emissions
- Paints, stains, and coatings are specified to have low VOC content and emissions
- Carpet is specified to have low VOC content and emissions
- Furniture is specified to have no urea-formaldehyde resin
Food & Beverage Practices
- 100-mile menu features locally grown selections produced with sustainable farming methods
- Kitchen fryer oil sent to off-site recycling facility
- Wet kitchen waste sent to composting site
- New dishwashing machines use 1/3 the amount of water per usage compared to hotel’s previous machines
- On-site water filtration system, linen-less tables, and sustainable products for meetings and events available
- Voluntary participation in ConEd’s Energy Curtailment Program
- High-efficiency fluorescent lighting installed in guest room corridors reduces energy required for lighting by 50%
- LED lighting in EXIT signs and elevator call buttons
- Motion-activated sensors in public areas
- New hotel equipment is Energy-Star rated
- Motion-detection thermostats turn HVAC systems off when guest rooms are not occupied
- New insulation on piping reduces energy losses
- New high-efficiency fan coils units deliver air using less energy and require less circulating water to lower pump motor energy consumption
- Variable-frequency drives on pumps reduce energy required to circulate water
- High-zone heating plant reduces distribution piping pressure losses and pump motor energy
- Exterior window sealant reduces heat transfer and unconditioned outside air infiltrating through the window
- Low-flow shower heads installed in the Suite level guest rooms
Reduction in Carbon Footprint
- In-room toiletries diverted from landfill through HotelWrap! and donated to Carlo’s Legacy Charity*
- All recyclables separated at off-site MRF plant
- Linen re-use and “turn off the lights” programs implemented in guestrooms
- Meetings Impact Report available upon request
- Concrete areas of hotel steam-cleaned without use of chemicals
- Removal of electric heat strips to reduce greenhouse gases produced by heating system
- Use of post-consumer office supplies and biodegradable cafeteria products throughout hotel’s back of house
Sheraton New York Bottled Amenity Recycling Program
The Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers has partnered with HotelWrap! to divert guestrooms’ used bottled amenities from landfills. Hotel Wrap! is a non-profit
organization that locates agencies that have indigent populations in need of resources and supports them by connecting these agencies with donating hotels.
The agencies pick up the donated items from the hotel, including bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and shaving cream, and distribute them
to the homeless.
At the Sheraton New York, we are donating our used guestroom bottled amenities to Carlo’s Legacy Charity. Carlo’s Legacy uses the donated toiletries to help homeless men and women as they develop an independent living plan. Founded by Daniel Lanzillotti in memory of his father and based in Long Island, Carlo’s Legacy provides care to an average of seventy people a day across six houses designated for veterans, victims of domestic violence, and homeless men and women.
Learn more by visiting http://www.sheratonnewyork.com/
See your business here, click to learn more.