Women love summer. No secrets there. We get our sandals out and start baring
more skin. Our hair glistens in the sun. The warmth is contagious and the
Pregnant women have often been known to do the same things as their non-pregnant
peers during these hot months: going to the salon for pedicures and a great new
cut, bleaching body hair,gobbing on deodorant for those sweaty 90 degree days.
In fact, I’d venture to say that pregnant women might even be more prone to
indulging in anything to help them feel sexy as their shape changes and changes
Salons, unless they are low in aerosol and dye fumes and using very natural/
organic products, are not the ideal place for a pregnant goddess to be spending
her time. Between the hairspray, dye and nail product fumes it’s a bit of a
Even if you are dying your own hair, spraying it to fend off those humidity
curls or having your honey paint your tootsies for you, there are still some
products that are good to avoid.
Some ways to stay lovely without exposing yourself and baby to dangerous
chemicals are as follows:
1. Spend time in the sun with natural sunscreen like Badger All Natural
Sunscreen, SPF 30. The sun will perform a few services for you free of charge.
- Provide you with a lovely dose of vitamin D which lifts mood, renews
energy and helps strengthen your bones.
- Give your hair some great highlights minus the chemicals.
- Give your skin a bronzy glow
2. Purchase safe piggy polish and remover. Check out EWG’s Skin Deep cosmetic
database and select products lower than a three in toxicity rating. Nail
products are some of the worst to inhale. There is a reason those polish remover
fumes are so prominent. Some healthy examples are:
- Aquarella nail polish
- Keeki Pure and Simple, LLC Non-Toxic, Gluten Free, Water-based Nail
- Honeybee Gardens Nail Polish Remover
3. Swim in saline pools or natural safe water sources. Chlorine is an eye,
lung and skin irritant and contains byproducts called dioxins that, if taken
into the body, are thought to be cancerous.
4. Wear natural deodorant. Between the aluminum in commercial antiperspirants
and the artificial fragrances added to give that fresh smell, mainstream
deodorants like Dove, Degree and Secret are less than ideal for the growing life
inside you. Aluminum is a heavy metal which is toxic to developing brains.
Artificial fragrances often contain phthalates which are known to disrupt
hormones. So, instead, opt for pure brands like Toms of Main or try a deodorant
5. And of course, stay cool by drinking hydrating, safe beverages – most
importantly water, but coconut water is a wonderful choice as well and has the
potential to alleviate gastro-intestinal discomfort while providing a healthy
dose of electrolytes.
Now that you know how to do a safe pregnant summer, go rock that beautiful bump
at the beach! Embrace your curves and know that no matter how awkward you may
feel sometimes, it is incredibly beautiful to be growing a life!
See your business here, click to learn more.
|Things of interest:|