Just because you're going green with your decor this year doesn't mean the table needs to be boring. Au contraire! The secret to a gorgeous table is in the small details.
1. Since you'll be using cloth napkins as all the eco-chic do, why not learn some fancy folds?
2. Beeswax candles not only are beautiful, but give off a heavenly honey aroma. Whether you roll your own (remember we're talking candles here), or buy in one of many styles, it's nice to know you're supporting bee culture while enjoying the fruit of their labor.
3. Get inspired. Check out beautiful table settings and think about how you can replicate using items you already have or can borrow.
5. If you plan to use flowers for a centerpiece, be sure to buy organic if possible. If money is an issue, buy fewer and display them in individual vases mixed with greens you bring in from outside.
6. For a simple, classic and elegant centerpiece, fill a glass bowl with natural items–pretty stones, acorns, leaves, or berries. Place a glass plate on top. Add a candle, a small vase with a few flowers, small wooden animals, seashells or any other items you have on hand.
Lynn Colwell and Corey Colwell-Lipson are a mother-daughter team and co-authors of Celebrate Green! Creating Eco-Savvy Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions for the Whole Family, available at www.CelebrateGreen.net.