Enhance the organic gardening experience with a recycled container garden! This sassy method requires minimal space, time, supplies, and money. Backyard gardeners in urban and suburban zones are attracted to the space-saving and mobility characteristics of container gardening.
Recycled Chair Antique Potato Chip Can
Here are a few quick container gardening tips:
- Search around your house for items that would otherwise be disgarded or visit an antique store, almost anything can serve as a container!
- Drill or cut drainage holes in the bottom of the container to avoid root rot
- Fill the bottom of large containers with bricks or other recycled items to save on potting soil and compost
- Line the sides of metal containers with newspaper to protect roots from the heat
- Be mindful of the containers used for vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Toxins can leach into the plants.
- Choose plants with similar needs (sun exposure, drought tolerant, etc.)
- Water regularly! You may need to water daily in the heat of the summer.
Don't let anything contain you, have fun!