Raw artichokes?!?!? I didn’t think it was possible until I created and
fell in love with this salad.
Serves about 4
- ¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chili pepper
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced into very thin strips on a
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, well packed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 medium artichokes
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed, plus additional for
- 8 Sicilian olives, sliced
- Begin by making a marinade, whisking together the
olive oil, garlic, salt and chili pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the onion and parsley; set aside.
- Juice the lemons and place remaining rinds in a
large bowl of cold water.
- Prepare the artichokes by removing and discarding
all of the sharp outer leaves. Stop when you reach the
pale inner leaves. Peel the stem with a vegetable
peeler. Place the artichokes in the lemon water bath to
- Removing one artichoke from the bath at a time,
slice the tender parts, including the stem, very finely
into thin strips. Remove the fuzzy choke and any sharp
inner leaves and discard.
- Place the sliced artichoke in a large bowl and
immediately drench in the lemon juice to prevent
- Toss with the onion, parsley and the prepared
marinade. Mix in the hemp seeds and olives. Top with
additional hemp seeds and chili pepper to garnish when
serving. Serve immediately and enjoy the pleasure.
Learn more about