A quick review of the benefits of a mineral based cosmetic:
- It feels great. Light and airy allowing your skin to breathe.
- It blends in much nicer than a liquid eliminating that makeup line around the face.
- It doesn't smudge or leave a trail behind on your clothes (or anyone else's).
- Because it's mineral based, ingredients like alcohol, dyes, perfumes, talc, preservatives are eliminated.
- It can actually help your skin look better because it is not clogging up your pores.
New on the scene is Modern Minerals. All products are produced without any chemical preservatives and fillers and with real ingredients that are sourced from the earth. Below is a list of ingredients they avoid:
- Artificial Colors: Also known as aluminum lakes or dyes and can be recognized by letters FD&C.
- Artificial Fragrances: Some of the chemicals used to create synthetic fragrances are derived from petrol products. Phthalates have been found in some synthetic fragrances. Studies have linked phthalates to possible developmental & reproductive issues as well as asthma, liver and kidney issues. Phthalates, DBP, BBP, DEHP are now banned in Europe.
- Bismuth Oxychloride & Cornstarch: Can irritate skin, clog pores and show fine lines.
- Micronized Minerals & Nanoparticles: These smaller particles present a greater likelihood of inhalation for those concerned about respiratory issues.
- Synthetic Parabens: (Methyl, Propyl, Ethyl, Butyl): Often used as to extend the shelf life in cosmetics. Studies have linked parabens to health concerns.
- Petroleum Products & By-products: We prefer to omit them entirely and use natural ingredients that truly hydrate.
Now that's all fine but how does it perform? In order to give any loose mineral based makeup a real chance, you need to use a good brush. I found MM applied very nicely and with a soft glow that gives my skin an even healthier look. With a strong range of base shades and an earthy and elegant eyeshadow palate to choose from with yummy names like Godiva, Tiramisu, Haiku and Storm, Modern Minerals performs as well, if not better, than other brands I've used. I personally prefer a pressed version so was also glad to hear that they are introducing that option as well.
In terms of packaging, glass is preferred for their liquid based body products and the plastic containers for the make up is recyclable. And the price is very competitive with eye shadows at only $10.
Visit Modern Hippie Mag for your chance to win five brand new full size eyeshadow colors for summer which include:
- Daydream – nude pink with flecks of gold
- Tiramisu – the ultimate neutral for everyday
- Haiku – rose gold shimmer
- Hera – bronze shimmer
- Godiva – soft & rich brown, perfect for or brows
Giveaway ends 12 midnight EST, on Tuesday, July 13, 2010. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, July 14, 2010.
Submitted by Jeanne Blaisdell of TheGreenSamaritan.com, a blog highlighting green living tips.
Jaszy McAllister is the woman behind the curtain of Modern Hippie Mag, an online resource dedicated to promoting hip, healthy conscious living and environmental sustainability. She is also the host for ModernHippieMag.com video and podcast interview profiles. She is a self-taught jewelry designer featuring her eco-conscious jewelry designs at www.Jaszy.com. Find her on Twitter, @msjaszy.