In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I would like to stress the importance of exercise in reducing the risk of breast cancer. I have also discovered a way to get more bang for your buck…get that body moving AND raise money to find a cure at the same time.
Let's start with some statistics…
Did You Know?
- The American Cancer Society estimates that one out of every eight women will develop breast cancer.
- Women in the United States get breast cancer more than any other type of cancer except for skin cancer.
- Breast cancer is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death in women.
- One out of 208 breast cancer cases occur in women under the age of 40.
The Benefits of Exercise:
- By maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, and limiting alcohol, women can dramatically reduce their risk of breast cancer.
- Exercise pumps up the immune system and lowers estrogen levels. With as little as four hours of exercise per week, a woman can begin to lower her risk of breast cancer.
- Vigorous exercise may cut the risk of breast cancer by 30 percent in normal-weight women.
- Exercise likely offers protection against breast cancer regardless of a woman's stage in life.
Cybex International, Inc (CYBEX), a premier commercial fitness equipment manufactuer, formed a partnership with The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) to create awareness of the importance of exercise in reducing the risk of breast cancer and to raise funds to find a cure. CYBEX launched the Pink Ribbon Run campaign and for every mile logged on the company's pink treadmills, CYBEX will donate 10 cents to the BCRF. In 2009, over 250,000 miles were logged on the pink treadmills and CYBEX donated over $50,000 to breast cancer research!
I am thrilled that CYBEX added the pink Arc Trainer to the menu in 2010. CYBEX has upped the ante and is committed to donating 20 cents per mile logged on the pink Arcs. Not to mention the Arc Trainer is eco-friendly (no electricity required!) and is biomechanically superb –my all time favorite piece of cardio exercise equipment.
I could swoon over the Arc Trainer endlessly, but for now I'll just say it is the most versatile cross-trainer available, and burns more calories than any other elliptical machine. Effective for beginners to professional athletes, the arc pattern of motion provides an optimal workout without exerting stress on the joints.
Wait, it just keeps getting better. Another bonus is that CYBEX is committed to protecting the envirmonment and has adopted many eco-friendly practices.
So, let's get moving ladies! Simply placing one foot in front of the other will help protect you against breast cancer, as well as rally support for a cure.