I am no expert in any way when it comes to relationships, but after 9 years of marital bliss, we must be doing something right! It’s a lot of work, a lot of learning and it’s not something you can ever ease up on. That being said, I wanted to share a list of fundamental guidelines that’s guaranteed keep the fire burning.
Follow these rules:
- Don’t lie – not even white lies. It only leads to bigger lies.
- Never go to bed angry. This is tough for many women especially when we are in a mood. However, if you are able to follow through with this rule, you will be rewarded with a good night’s sleep; free of negativity and an even better morning.
- Talk until you agree. This is a sure fire way to avoid a fight.
- No bad-mouthing your partner. That’s a marriage killer.
- Respect each other. This is required for a sound and solid relationship. Care and be aware of your actions, taking into account each other’s feelings.
- When you feel it, say it. Each time we express how we feel, we are reminded of how blessed we are to have each other.
- Don’t get lazy. A strong relationship requires attention. Give it the attention it deserves.
Continue to work on:
- Growing together. When trying new things, especially when it comes to our health and wellness, it only works if we do it together. For example, we went on our very first juice fast together. We researched and practiced it together. At the end of the fast, we were both feeling good and the other was not left behind.
- Compromise. Give and take.
- Show affection. Affection brings you closer and solidifies your relationship.
- Making time for each. Busy schedules can cause relationships to grow apart. Date nights give you a chance to reconnect and get back on the same page.
Rule of thumb:
- If you’re unsure, communicate.
- Rule of thumb for the guys: A happy wife is a happy life.
Read more about relationships.