On Sunday, February 8th 2009, International Yoga Day, Janine Johnson, Founder of Green Wave Enterprises LLC a peace and environmental non-profit, will be hosting her second fundraiser, once again, at the Strawberry House in Encino, a beautiful mid-century modern in the Encino Hills. Similar to spirit of her last fund Janine raiser, Earthdance, her event this time will be centered around living in harmony with our environment, starting with ourselves.
Janine has dubbed this an Eco -Yoga Event calling it, the Green Wave Green Heart Eco-Yoga Day. Her slogan is "Grow your heart green with yoga" as she believes that the essence of yoga and environmentalism goes hand in hand. Janine, also a Green Girl Guru for TheGreenGirls.com, believes that in order to care for the environment, one must care about oneself first which is something which can be cultivated through consistent yogic practices.
The event will start at 10am with a last class starting around 4pm. Classes will be held outside around the zen like pool area. The eco-yoga event will showcase different yoga studios from the San Fernando Valley. Already signed on are Lotus Kitty Spin and Yoga, Bikram yoga, Crystal Yoga and Pilates, Karen Schuman's Yoga , and a special guest appearance from Bindi Morrish of the Anahata practice in San Diego. Anahata is a heart centered yoga practice that Janine has studied and teaches as well. The event will also feature green and peace speakers: Tess Whitehurst of Tess Whitehurst Feng Shui, May Hsu an Ecobroker speaking about the alignment of green building techniques in regards to feng shui, Troy Casey of Amazon Herb Co. in regards to health and sustainable capitalism, Monica Salazar speaking about Earthdance, our own Apple Levy, Woman of the Year contestant for the Leukemia society speaking about the Man/Woman of the Year campaign and activism, and a special guest workshop by Alegre Ramos of the great valley green store Green and Greener, giving a workshop on green living basics.
The event will be $20 for all day access. "I envision this event to have flow. People in and out throughout the day, dropping in to take a class or two, listen to a speaker, visit the eco-vendors. I want people to be on the floor mainly though …socializing in circles on their yoga mats, drinking tea, coming up with ideas on how to make an impact in their own lives and in the world", Janine said.
Janine is urging people to bring their own mats and reusable water bottles although both will be available for purchase at the event. Janine hopes this event will be a day of peace, centering, education, and shift of consciousness and habit or the individuals in attendance. Proceeds of the event will go toward Green Wave's green education initiative for green curriculums in pre-K schools with a special donation made to Escuela Camino Claro, (their launch school in Costa Rica for the initiative Green Wave intends on rolling out in the local Los Angeles communities).
- International Yoga Day
- $20 tickets will be available for purchase on brownpapertickets.com
- Date: Sunday, February 8th 2009
- Time: The event will start at 10am with a last class starting around 4pm
- The Strawberry House in Encino
- Intro to Yoga by Lotus Kitty Spin and Yoga
- Bikram Yoga
- Crystal Yoga and Pilates
- Karen Schuman's Yoga, and a special guest appearance from Bindi Moore of the Anahata practice in San Diego.
Special Guest Appearance:
- Tess Whitehurst of Tess Whitehurst Feng Shui
- May Hsu an Ecobroker speaking about the alignment of green building techniques in regards to feng shui
- Troy Casey of Amazon Herb Co. in regards to health and sustainable capitalism
- Monica Salazar speaking about Earthdance
- Our own Apple Levy, Woman of the Year contestant for the Leukemia society speaking about the Man/Woman of the Year campaign and activism
- A special guest workshop by Alegre Ramos of the great valley green store Green and Greener, giving a workshop on green living basics.
Visit GreenWaveEnt.org to learn more.