“Fifty Shades of Grey” more than just sex?

I first got a hold of the book, Fifty Shades of Grey 8 weeks ago from the NYT Best seller list. After reading a few pages I had a sneaky suspicion that this was going to be a shallow story with sex thrown in as a binding agent. This suspicion was confirmed after hearing that the book is dubbed as “mommy porn”. At that point, I had no interest and deleted it from my Kindle App.


When I saw posts on Facebook from my connections about being hooked on the book, I found it a little embarrassing. Don’t get me wrong. I am all for having a good and healthy sexual appetite, but this left me wondering if sex was a topic to be discussed on a Facebook wall. (But hey, we’re among ‘friends’, right?)

Still, I started to come across articles and heard on the radio about how ”Fifty Shades of Grey” is actually helping women and relationships in general. I gave in to the curiosity and downloaded it once again on my Kindle app.

Is “Fifty Shades of Grey” more than just sex? … Well, no. The book is pure erotica, no question about it. However, there are a few things I realized while reading this book.

1) I can see how this book can rekindle stale relationships and enhance even the strong ones. Kudos to the author E L James for that.

2) Orgasms aside, there is something else that intrigued me about it. There is a wanting, and not so much for the sexual desire most respond to from reading this book. I’m talking about the idea of being so financially secure – so successful, that you can spend and focus 90% of your time on finding your pleasure and the remaining 10% on just maintaining that security. In the character, Christian Grey’s particular case, his pleasure is sex. Time with family, traveling at a drop of a hat; those are some things I would love more of.

My husband always says, “Money is an organizer.” It gives us the ability to make arrangements in our lives, making it easier to meet your goals. Though it seems to be completely unrelated, reading “Fifty Shades of Grey” reminds me that my goals are very much within reach and the possibilities are very exciting.

Have you ever been inspired by something so unexpected? Here’s to #TryingNewThings.

On a side note, I will not be reading the 2nd or 3rd book from the trilogy. In my opinion, the scenes got repetitive and dull and the plot drastically thinned out.

Related posts:

Is It Ever Too Much?
(Video) Nick Cannon, 50 Cent, Samantha Harris, Rachael Ray & More Speak Out Against Hunger
Join Fergie & Celebrate the Troops This Holiday Season

3 Comments

  • Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and
    say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring
    blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?
    I’d definitely appreciate it.

  • Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am going through difficulties with your
    RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to join it.
    Is there anyone else getting identical RSS issues? Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!