Nothing beats a family bike ride! You get to spend quality time together, get a good workout and enjoy the outdoors all at the same time. As always, safety first! Before you head out, browse our list of quick bike safety tips for you and your little ones.
1. Make sure the helmet fits. The helmet should cover your forehead and the back of your head. The side straps should be just under your earlobes.
2. Store helmets in a cool place. Heat can damage the helmet, weakening the foam and its ability to protect.
3. Always ride your bike with traffic.
- Driving is all about expectations: Motorists making a right turn onto a busy street are going to be looking left, not right, to make sure the coast is clear. They’re not going to see the wrong-way cyclist until his or her face is smashed against their windshield.
- Because of the increased momentum of a head-on crash, the impact from a driver hitting you will be more severe than if you are to get, say, sideswiped.
- If you ever want to make a right turn, you’re going to have to move to the other side of the street anyway. How safe will you feel crossing in front of two lanes of oncoming traffic?
4. Make sure your bike is the right size. A properly-sized road bike frame will give an inch or two clearance between the top tube of the frame and your crotch.
5. Be aware. Hybrid cars are so quiet, you would not hear them pull out of a curb or if they are coming up behind you.
6. Walk with your bike to cross busy roads. If you’re crossing a busy intersection, it’s best for kids to walk their bike across the street.
7. Turn your phone to vibrate or silent mode. Sudden loud sounds can startle and distract you or your kids from the road.
These are just some quick tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable family bike ride. Got tips we should add? Comment below! Have fun and enjoy the outdoors!
See your business here, click to learn more.
|Things of interest:|